Due to unexpected circumstances, Wynnewood will be reopening Friday April 12th
Preserving 12,000 Years of History and Heritage
For almost three decades, the Bledsoe's Lick Historical Association has pursued the exciting and challenging task of integrating the preservation of important archaeological and historic sites with the growth, progress and economic development of Sumner County.
Named for the mineral springs and licks so prominent in regional history and prehistory, the Association has operated, managed, and preserved Wynnewood State Historic Area, including several important historical buildings, landmarks and historical sites: Wynnewood, the original mineral springs and lick; Thomas Sharp Spencer monument, and portions of the Castalian Springs Mound Site -- a native American town dating to A.D. 1250.
In 1992, the Association expanded its preservation efforts to include
the development of Bledsoe's Fort Historical Park -- a nearly 80-acre county
park which includes: the archaeological location of Isaac Bledsoe's
1780 fort and the restored Nathanial Parker cabin.
The first town at Bledsoe's Lick was founded by prehistoric Native American peoples around A.D. 1100. While the name of their tribe is lost to the mists of time, hundreds or perhaps thousands of Native Americans called this town home for centuries. Earthen pyramids constructed to support their versions of courthouses, churches, and other public buildings can still be seen in the fields surrounding the lick. Archaeological research at this site demontrate its importance -- the leaders of this first town traded with their counterparts on the Gulf Coast, the Carolinas, southern Illinois, and Oklahoma. For reasons as yet unclear, the people of this town moved on around A.D. 1450, leaving their sacred mounds to quietly remind us "we were here first."
As the first European explorers moved west of the Appalachian Mountains, they too were drawn to the rich lands around the mineral springs. One of the first explorers of the region, the longhunter Isaac Bledsoe rediscovered the area in 1772. Less than a decade later, Isaac and his brother Anthony were among the families who established the community of Bledsoe's Lick. As the American Revolutionary War raged in the east, men, women, and children of European and African descent carved a new community from this landscape.
About 1830, the name of this community was changed to Castalian Springs -- a more noble title for the mineral springs resort and spa which served as the focal point of this community during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Bledsoe’s Lick Historical Association Inc. (BLHA), will not exclude any person from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination in the performance of this grant or in the employment practices of BLHA on the grounds of: disability, age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other classification protected by Federal, Tennessee State constitutional or statutory law. BLHA will, upon request, show proof of such nondiscrimination and will post in conspicuous places, available to all employees, volunteers, members, and visitors, notices of nondiscrimination.